View Single Post
Old 08-28-21, 08:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
I think "needed" is probably the wrong word to use. I would say "worth it"

In the right context all those things matter:
- Weight, if all the tubes on your bike were solid steel and not hollow, the frame would be a lot stronger, the question is do you need that extra strength, if you don't then why have a heavier frame than you need.

- Stiffness, it may be subjective, but a laterally stiff wheel feels so much better to ride on, but the difference isn't huge.

- Aero, if I strapped a parachute to the back of you bike while you were riding into a head wind, I am sure you would want to cut it away to be more aero. Not that 30mm deep carbon rims will make much if any aero difference, it means you can go faster for the same power, sure that may only be a tiny amount, I have no idea how much, say 0.2km, over an 8hr day, over a 2 month tour that's 99km (60mi), for the same effort level.

These are all about where you draw the line, to most people I imagine $1000 for rims, to get realistically very small gains, probably isn't worth it, but everyone draws that line at a different place.

For me I don't mind spending the money, if they will be strong enough for me, since I would also use the wheels for weekend club rides with roadies, not just touring.
I doubt you'd see speeds on a loaded tourer where aero rims would make a difference. Maybe old school thinking on my part.