Old 06-12-21, 04:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Pedals, ones that have a platform side for normal shoes on one side and take SPD cleats on the other side. I think SPD cleats are the most walkable cleats of all options. There are several models available, but this year with the shortages you might have to settle for what you can get. I use Shimano M324 pedals (heavy but good grip on platform side) on some bikes and Shimanon A530 (discontinued model, lighter but poor grip) on other bikes. There are many more models out there too.

Shoes, I bring one cycling pair and one regular pair for use in the campsite.

Cycling pair uses SPD cleats. I have toured on Keen cycling sandals (no longer made) and also have toured on a more conventional SPD mountain biking shoe. Whichever you get, if it will be cool or chilly or cold, bring some form of overshoe or rain cover so that you can keep your feet dryer in rain, overshoes only work with rain pants. Some rain covers do not fit well over some shoes, so shoe selection and rain cover selection go together. But, if the weather will be warm enough to just get wet and forgo the rain pants, skip the shoe covers.

Regular shoes. Some people forgo the regular shoes but I like a second pair of shoes to wear in the campsite. And there are occasional days when I would rather wear my regular shoes on the bike instead of cycling shoes, maybe my cycling shoes are soaked and the regular are dry. Or perhaps I will be riding on a really bad road or trail and don't want to be cleated in that day.

For the regular shoes, I usually use a hiking shoe (Merrill Moab Waterproof) or a trail runner shoe. Avoid soft sole sneakers or deck shoes, as the flexible sole does not provide enough support for your foot for a long day in the saddle.

A friend of mine has toured on regular shoes and platform pedals, saved the weight to only bring that one pair of shoes. But after a day of rain and his shoes got wet, and stayed wet for days he started having some bad foot problems. If you only bring one pair, think about what it would be like if they got soaked at stayed that way for days.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: