Old 01-17-16, 01:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jt_uk
I see Jason Kenny got a gold in the mens team pursuit in Hong Kong, just watching the sprint where he got taken by Patrick Constable, Kenny is a lot slimmer than the other riders. How would someone of his build look to train. I suppose his main focus would be leg speed more so than power?
If the brits turn out a strong performance at the Olympics (aside from Trott who is on fire) you would be very surprised, maybe?
Armchair Physics:

Power = % of Fast-Twitch Muscle Fiber Type
Speed = Power/Weight/frontalArea

Also, the biggest force one has to overcome is wind resistance, not acceleration. Wind resistance increases exponentially. This is why me, a REALLY BIG GUY (read: fat), who could make 2,100W couldn't post elite F200M times. I'm a rolling refrigerator.

The bottom line is:

A "slim" sprinter can be just as fast (if not faster) than a really muscular one. Look at Victoria Pendleton and Theo Bos vs their contemporaries.

Originally Posted by dunderhi
Okay, I'm old dog trying to learn a new trick...

I want to give wattage-based training a try this season. So far, I have a TACX Neo trainer with the TrainerRoad software and have started Base Phase workouts this week. I've also developed season goals and mapped out a training plan with general track racing and pursuiting in mind; no crits or road racing. I have two pursuits as my ultimate goals and I should have two opportunities to race pursuits prior to those events. I have two road bikes that have similar geometries to my mass start and pursuit bike that I plan to use on my trainer. I also have a road bike with a more relaxed geometry that I prefer for outdoor training due to the local terrain which requires a lot of climbing (not a flat mile to be found).

Am I good leaving the power-based training to the trainer and my road miles would be on rest days or would it be better to start equipping bikes too? If yes, which bike(s) would be most important: the road bike with many more miles of training opportunities, the mass start track bike that I will race once a week, or the pursuit bike to support key event measurements prior to the big events? I prefer to have longer crank arms on my pursuit bike, so transferring cranks between bikes wouldn't be ideal, but doable if compatible. Which are the best steps equipment-wise? Which brands/models are the most accurate and reliable (that is, if those two can be combined)? As far as equipment preferences, I like Shimano Dura Ace for both road and track, but I'm not 100% hardover on that line-up. Your thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll write more later. Headed out right now.

For those who train with PMs on every bike for every session, the PM is really a fatigue meter. Basically lets the person evaluating the data know how the rider is responding to stimulus and more importantly, when they are tired. RPE (Rated Perceived Exertion) isn't as objective as power or torque values.

I personally don't think you need PMs on all bikes, but those who coach from PMs will require you to have them on all bikes.

I personally think you should coach yourself to cadence.

I'll write more later. Maybe you will start a separate thread on this as this will probably be a popular thread.

EDIT:

I think PMs are great for pacing pursuit efforts or trying not to pop during long group races.

Last edited by carleton; 01-17-16 at 02:16 PM.