Old 10-15-21, 06:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Y'all can certainly be .... well, never mind.

There is Zero connection between building a light bike and losing weight. That would be like saying no one could buy a Corvette or Camaro unless they drove at a certain (illegal) rate of speed to "justify" the added performance capacity.

People like light bikes because they are light. Fat people, skinny people, fast riders, slow riders .... a light bike is light for all of them.

And people like to lighten their bikes because they want ... lighter bikes. (Stop me if I am going too fast here and I will explain in more detail.)

This guy never intended to have a lighter bike. He got the right bike for him at the time. As time has passed, he has incrementally upgraded and improved his bike, to the point that it is now (for the class of bike, material, etc,) a "light" bike. Bravo! He has built the bike he wants.

Maybe he didn't care about weight when he bought the bike. Maybe he couldn't afford the lighter version, or maybe he couldn't justify spending more for the lighter version back then because he didn't intend to ride enough to make the upgrades make a difference. Maybe he just liked the color of this particular bike. What does it matter?

The OP has changed over time, his cycling habits and his preferences have changed, and he has over time, built exactly the bike he wants.

And people still have to crap on him for it ... because some people cannot manage their own lives and need to take that out on others.

Seems to me the guy has been slowly and steadily improving his bike and now has it just where he wants it. I say he merits congratulations.

At the start of this thread, before he told his story, I advised him not to put any money into this bike, but to buy a better base model. Then he explained that he had already upgraded pretty much every part of the bike, and all that stood between him and owning his home-made version of the top-tier model, was the fork. So he got the fork.

Good for him .... because what really matters? That he saved every penny? In that case, don buy a bike. That he bought a bike back then that he didn't want then, in case he wanted it later? Then wouldn't he needed to have bought half-a-dozen bikes, just in case?

How about, what matters is, all along the way this guy has had a bike he really likes and likes to ride, and now he has almost perfected it?

Yeah .... that seems to make sense.

Anyone who cannot see the sense there .... well, it is BF so I am not surprised.
Likes For Maelochs: