Old 07-30-21, 09:51 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
Yeah, getting swamped was more about before the sprint. There's a rise, then a sweeper to the left and than another hard left and probably 80 meters to the line. Where I would get swamped is before that last turn where I'm then sprinting from 10th wheel. When I led out for a part of the last lap, I wasn't really pulling hard, it's just that no one really wants to be in the wind, so maybe that's the way to go, as it at least puts me up front when I want to be. To be fair, I haven't really tried the half lap attack (sprint?), so maybe I'll give that a go in one of the races tonight.
80m to line means you have to be first into that hard left. Which means the sweeper to the hard left is critical. Which means that you have to be rocketing over the rise. Always work backwards from the finish.

Depending on length of rise, remember that accelerating on a hill is much harder than accelerating on the flat. So if you can launch just before you hit the rise then it'll be harder to follow you. That's only useful if you can go from the bottom of the rise to the finish.

Another thing you can do is to get to the front before the left corner, lead into it from the left curb - the "wrong" side. (This is sort of an advanced move, like don't do this in a novice field because everyone will overshoot the corner and crash.) This way everyone has to slow to make it through the turn, accentuating the already significant accordion effect. If you have any semblance of a jump you should be able to get to the line.

If you do that kind of move (force a big slow down in the last turn) make sure you're able to shift from the drops. You'll want to shift into a lower gear as you corner, then bang hard through the gears as you accelerate. A lower gear jump might buy you 2-3 bike lengths, which would give you the sprint.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson