View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 04:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by guy1138
Yeah, on BF C&V "it is known" that mixte/step-thru frames are lower value than the "men's" equivalent bike, but in my experience it is the exact opposite. And honestly, I'm not really trying that hard to convince anyone else otherwise since I have pretty sweet mixte hustle going on.

True, the Mixte option was mostly offered on the entry level, "sport" road bikes of the day. Best case is that you find a mid range, full chromoly mixte, like the Miyata 310, or Univega Via Carisma or the Nishiki Seabring I eventually found {and built up with 600 Arabesque ::chef's kiss::}. But compared to the equivalent MEN'S bike, they are way more desirable. A Bridgestone 300 or RB-3 is just another nice, but ho-hum vintage road bike. The MIXTE version however is pure class and retro cool. For context I live in Austin, where vintage = cool, we have a lot of young female cyclists, good cycling infrastructure, a large university, and hills.
It's not just on BF; it's in North American culture. Anything with a dropped top tube that isn't a full suspension mountain bike is a "women's bike". As pretty as this specimen is, I already have a stunner that should arrive this month, give or take. Check out this hunk o' metal.

Soon, my Precious. Sooooon.