Old 01-15-15, 05:48 PM
slindell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
It sounds like one of those overbearing (or simply not-knowing) parent rules that'll be loosened with time.

"What? They have COMPUTERS on their bikes?! There's no way that they should be allowed to look at them while on the bike!"

Others probably agreed to the rule simply to not be disagreeable as they had (and still have) bigger fish to fry as far as getting the track program up and running.

My guess is that soon it'll be a rule that is on the books that nobody enforces. Then it'll simply be removed as a rule when things settle down.
For the new track I suspect it is saying UCI rules are in effect at all times (insurance?), it also keeps people looking ahead. We have taken computers off bikes in intro sessions to keep people looking ahead instead of pacing off the computer.

UCI rules started with just nothing loose that can fall on the track. Then as I learned in NZ - blame OZ, Australia started enforcing a no computer rule which then seemed to cause the UCI rules to get the no visible speedometer rule. Might be OZ was just the first to really enforce it. The odd part is it does not address the loose parts that started it and things seem to be more likely to fall off with the alternate mounts.

UCI track rules:
3.2.005 Riders may carry no object on them or on their bicycles that could drop onto the track. They may not bear or use on the track any music player or radio communication system. In addition, any electronic device with display (for instance speedometer or powermeter) must be hidden to that it cannot be read by the riders.
(text modified on 25.09.07; 29.06.09)

Just rotating the mount around the stem is enough to meet the rule so that is the simple way to meet the rule if only hiding while racing. You can also put it in a pocket or inside the skinsuit if desperate.