View Single Post
Old 07-06-22, 07:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
...I suspect the fast move from QR to thru-axles is in no small part because of liability/insurance. ...

Rohloff, and other internal geared hubs, are going to be another thing that's left in a weird spot, with the industry quickly moving from QR to thru-axle.
I agree, a lot of people did not tighten the skewers enough and braking could shift the position of the hub in the dropouts.

And some people never learned that the lever on a quick release is a cam operated tightener, they thought that the lever was just a lever so you did not need a wrench. I saw one of my co-workers tighten her quick release that way, which really surprised me. She was smart, was a scientist with a masters degree, yet nobody ever told her how the skewer works and she just assumed she knew.

My Lynskey came with replaceable dropouts, either through axle or conventional quick release, I have the quick release on it. That frame was made that way five years ago. But that brake unit is on the chain stay, not seat stay, so the axle does not try to shift position when braking because of the way the forces are oriented.

I assume that Rohloff is trying to come up with a new way do to it. But Rohoff has another problem, the non-drive side of their hubs often weep oil and oil can contaminate a rotor and pads. My Rohloff is on a rim brake bike, not an issue for me.

But on the other hand, many if not most Rohoffs are installed on a frame that was designed in part to allow a Rohloff to be used. So, maybe they are not bothering to change, as what they have works fine and frame builders will probably keep making frames that it works on. My Rohloff frame does not even have a derailleur hanger, it is designed to be a Rohloff specific frame.