Old 07-03-20, 02:06 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I think Rivendell will install the BB and headset if you order them with the frame, maybe there is a small fee. With the BB and headset installed you don’t need a ‘vendor’ to build the bike.

You can assemble a good set of hex keys, a cable cutter, decent pliers and adjustable wrench, a cassette tool for your cassette, a chain whip, crank puller, and tire levers. These are the basic bike tools any home bike mechanic should have. If you go slowly and carefully you can put all the parts on yourself in a couple of weekends.
I'm doing this on another bike (and older 'rescue'). A local shop's doing the prep of the frame (at the BB and steerer), along with installing the BB, crank and headset, and I'm doing the rest.

On the Riv build, though, I'm leaning toward a shop install. They can source any parts I might not find; can adjust and tune given what they know through experience on the platform and with those major parts; and they can assist with the final fitting adjustments. On this one, for me, I think it might be worth it.
Likes For Clyde1820: