Old 06-24-16, 02:51 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Labs often get that bad wrap, I wonder how true it is, are they less intelligent than other breeds or is it something about their disposition that we associate with lower intelligence?

Amoungst humans were are recognizing different kinds of intelligence are breaking down stigmas about what is smart and it is becoming recognized that standard IQ test is a measure of one kind of intelligence as we define it. My dog Jasper in the OP is probably part lab based on his face and his personality. Sometimes I think he's an idiot, but really it is probably me not understanding him.
Don't get me wrong.... she is a sweet and loving pet. I think her early life is part of the issue... we got her from a high-kill Carolina shelter at 2 years... she had already had at least one litter and had lime disease and full-blown heart worm when we got her. Our vets had never seen a heart worm case...its very rare in Vermont and had to special-order meds.

Very lengthy & expensive treatment. She was very skittish and fearful. We had her wear a "thunder-jacket" for 3 months to ease the trembling as she acclimated to our home. Even after 3 years, she still stays in three downstairs rooms of our house.... afraid of the upstairs & kitchen. She doesn't play fetch and is uninterested or afraid of doggie toys.

On a positive note, she has evolved into a nice, people-centered pet. We often take her to visit my MIL at a assisted living facility and Snookie is a gentle and calm guest.... greeting the seniors and sitting quietly as she is petted. She loves walks and meeting other people and dogs.