Old 06-29-20, 10:04 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lazurm
I'm very interested to learn how well the Terrano units integrate with the Zello app and how, exactly, this app is used when applying it to a Terrano.
Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday. It's raining today, so I had some time to mess with this.

My wife and I ride with the Terrano XT version. We also had the X version for years but last year converted to the newer version for it's longer range. We also use Zello for a variety of things and we had thought this would work well when we were on group rides. We could use the intercom between ourselves and then go over Zello to the larger group ride. This appears to work with the normal Bluetooth caveats.

You have to pair your phone to the headset of course. The phone pairing and connection is controlled by the rear phone button (looking at the unit with the narrow end to your left, it is the right most button). If it has been sometime since you used the phone, when you press the Zello talk button it will take a while for it to kick in (a second or two). You can defeat this delay by touching the phone connection button on the Terrano units. Once you do that, you can use the Zello app as you normally would with any bluetooth device. After a timeout, the phone connection will go to standby and you will need to either redo the button pushing on the Terrano or hold the Zello button down until it is apparent that you've connected.

When you're on Zello, then you're connection to the other Terrano units will be muted. They won't hear you talking on the intercom and on Zello. I would presume that they could join the Zello conversation after a delay for headset connect on the handsfree profile or by touching their phone button on the Terrano unit presuming their phone is paired to the Terrano headset.

You do have to talk loud enough to overcome the noise cancelling on the Terrano mic.

Where there might be some confusion is during the timeout from your phone Zello connection to the Terrano intercom connection again. I believe, although it is difficult to test, that by pushing the intercom channel connection button (left most button) on the Terrano XT it should reconnect or unmute the intercom channel.

The above was having Zello set up on my phone with the handsfree profile and not A2DP. It seemed to work better in handsfree mode rather than A2DP.

Bottom line, I think it's pretty workable. You'll have to fool around a bit to get the hang of it, but looks like it will work as far as I'm concerned. We have used Zello on group rides before with Apple AirPods and one of those bluetooth buttons that velcro to your handlebars. That worked well too but my wife and I still prefer the intercom full duplex conversation between the two of us with the Terrano intercoms. That said, I think this says that we can have our private conversation going on the ride and then connect to the larger group or support via Zello with ease. That makes for a pretty powerful communication system.

I did not try it without the other Terrano XT connected as an intercom, that is to say only connected via Zello.

What's your application for this explicitly?

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-29-20 at 10:21 AM.