Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmo starr
Ive considered this very thing as i plan for my future ride. I would love to get on trail. My idea is to drop by an LBS because that seems like a place that would be very understanding of the situation. I figured they would be happy to stash a bike for a week or so if need be.
Yeah, um ... not every town has an LBS, or a conveniently located one. Also, not every LBS would be happy to stash a bike for a week or so. Some are very small places with little extra space. They might offer you the back alley, or a spot between the buildings. Some aren't even all that thrilled about hanging onto the cardboard boxes you shipped your bicycle in (which can be flattened) for a week or so while you're touring. You could try, and you might find a conveniently located LBS who would be willing to do that, but don't count on it.

But here is another viable option ... if you're cycling along for a few days or a week or two, and you come to a town where you know there's some good hiking (day hikes), stay in a hostel or motel for a couple nights.