View Single Post
Old 12-29-21, 09:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 689 Posts
Got one of the harder to get parts for the build today from a fellow enthusiast. A 1955 Sturmey Archer Dynohub in 36H.

I already had a 28H and a 32H model that I have been gathering over the past few years for the always suspended 1969 Gazelle Super Licht. If only silver 40H rims were cheaper to get here in Europe. But I digress.

Currently I'm on the fence on whether I want to disassemble both wheels for the hub and rims and rebuild them with the dynohub in the front. These black steel rims are awesome with their golden line but I can also understand some of the other collectors who would prefer to keep them intact.
Alternatively I could build entirely new wheels using the Cordo Rodi Westwood rims as they look the same (including gold pinstripes) and come in either the same 700B / ERTRO 635mm or the modern 700C / ERTRO 622mm size.
It would allow me to use a much wider variety of tyres and maybe even go wider than the stock 38mm. There is barely anything available in the 635mm size.
Something to ponder in the coming months I guess.

Gave the bike its first cleaning in ages and now it looks closer to the original black colour. My current thought is to chemically remove most of the rust and give it a clearcoat next spring.

Last edited by JaccoW; 12-29-21 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For JaccoW: