Old 06-01-22, 07:20 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
It's true that for the AW, most of the spares will be available for a long time yet, but I think some of the parts are starting to become scarcer.

Good, metal clutch spring caps can be hard to find. The later bikes had a plastic cap that tended to deteriorate.

And I've found it harder in the past few years to find truly good cones. At one time, I could find whole bags of NOS cones from when bike shops would go out of business and sell-off all their stuff. But not lately. I'd guess that I have only about 8 or so good spare cones left now, whereas before I had more than that. I can find plenty of somewhat pitted or badly worn cones, but I try to use only good ones because if I'm going to take the time to rebuild a hub, I don't want to put in parts that will just cause problems later. I've had only marginal luck reconditioning cones by turning and polishing them. The marginal ones clean up OK, but the bad ones never really come back into use for me.