patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
My wife is into this website called myfooddiary.com Anyhow, I rarely pay any attention to the stuff she rattles off that the site tells her after inputting her daily food/exercise, however - on Saturday it said I burned around 3400 calories. We did a tandem ride of 60 miles at an avg of 17.5. Does this sound right? I can't believe the calorie usage is that high. How can your body survive losing that many calories in 4 hours? I've looked at a couple other online calorie counters and they seem to concur.

BTW...if you have any suggestions as to a better piece of software or an alternative that will save me the monthly subscription to that website...I'd appreciate it.
I don't believe there's any accurate way to answer this question. Can science REALLY accurately measure calories burned during exercise? And if they could, it still varies from person to person. I figure 50 calories per mile - that's 1000 calories per hour @ 20mph average speed and 750 calories per hour @ 15mph average speed (and if I'm that slow I'm climbing quite a bit). But it's guesswork. I think that 50 cal per mile number is easy to remember - and close enough for rock n' roll.