View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 03:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some years ago our group was riding in the mountains on a cold day and some of us stopped at the only cafe on route while others kept going, heading for a descent known for causing flats with sharp rocks and holes. A guy in the lead group who happened to be running tubeless double flatted, cutting both tires.

Those of us who had stopped to eat were running nearly an hour behind them but when we got there they were still struggling to put tubes in his tires. Now I know some rim/tire combinations are worse than others and many riders are inept when it comes to fixing things but this was ridiculous.

I have tubeless ready tires/rims on my mtb but they have tubes in them. I might go tubeless but haven't yet. I ran over a huge nail and had to dismount the tire during the ride. What a giant pain! I think it took me 30 minutes. It was more difficult than my old motorcycle tires, the front one anyway.
Had you run your mtb tyre tubeless you could have simply pulled the nail out, fired in a Dynaplug (or similar) and been on your way in less than a couple of minutes. Tubeless for mtb has been a no-brainer for years now, despite the inevitable resistance when it first appeared some 20 years ago.