View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 12:40 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
It is too bad I just replaced my front (GP5000 tubeless) but the rear is nearing replacement. When it does need replaced, I will put a drywall screw through it. I will let you know how it works, but I expect it to hold air.

I have had two hassles with road tubeless:

1) tape / rim / sealant compatibility. Tires would be fine for a month or so, then go flat sitting over night. I tried several brands of sealant and tape. Settled on Orange Seal Winter and 3M tape.

2) Royal 1st class PITA to mount: I use a ratcheting wood worker's clamp to keep one side on the rim. I have used the same clamp to dismount tube and tubeless MTB tires that seem to get stuck to the rim. I also use my higher quality levers (Pedro's for me, but I am sure there are other brands that are just as good or better). The cheap ones that I had to change tubed touring tires don't seem to do the job.

The issue I have not had is having to put a tube in on the road. I don't like the idea of patching larger cuts with a piece of plastic or paper to hold the tube in place. When touring I carry a spare tire in the paniers.

I do know that when I take an old tubeless tire off it is not that big a job. Again, I am using a stiffer tire lever. And, yes, in the "good old days" I changed road tires without any tools. So maybe carrying 3 nylon levers is a downside.
Usually the manufacturer of the tubeless compatible rim will make a tape that fits the rim correctly or in the case of Trek, they make a one piece tubeless strip if you don't want to use tape.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...strip/p/31426/

As far as fit and mounting...that doesn't change whether it's a tubed or tubeless tire. I've had some tires go on easy and some are a PITA...both tubed and tubeless...depends on the tire manufacturer and model. Just because a tire is tubeless doesn't mean it's harder to put on than the same exact make and model of tubed tire.