View Single Post
Old 10-30-22, 01:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
Through various degrees of separation and people knowing I’m a bike guy I was offered an old bike sitting unused in a basement with photos of a silver Cinelli which I quickly realized was an SC. Everything seems original other than the front rim which has no label. The rear is a Fiamme.

So far I’ve stripped the worn cables and housing, the hoods started falling apart as soon as I touched them. The bar tape and toe straps likewise need replacing. At least one of the jockey wheels is broken so it’s worth changing both. Luckily all of the components seem to be in good working order otherwise. The plan is to give everything a good clean, overhaul and get it running again without changing much. I’m not into tubulars so I’m debating building up a different set of wheels but maybe it’s worth giving a shot?

A few questions for the more well informed:
1 - Where could I find good repro globe logo hoods? I believe several people make them, use the search forum here and the general internet.

2 - Same question but jockey wheels and brake pads. (I may go with modern pads/holders for ease of setup/use). Kool Stop makes fabulous brake blocks that will easily slide right into those holders.

3 - Would it be sinful to spread the dropouts to 126 for 7-spd freewheel options? This would also mean finding a rear hub. I don’t think, have you tried a different wheel yet? It might be a simple matter of finagling the slightly wider hub in to frame. You might be able to simple have a slightly longer axle installed in the current wheel.

(More photos to come as cleaning and restoration proceeds)
what a fabulous gift. Enjoy.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk