View Single Post
Old 03-10-16, 09:24 PM
Oldoarsman

Bikes: 2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I delivered the Hartford Times every afternoon after school for about four years back in the early 70's...5 1/2 miles on a very rural route to some 22+\- customers.

The first year on my route, I rode my black, single speed Royce Union 26" (Purchased by my parents at Western Auto(?))...took the fenders off of it so it would look more like the cool ten speeds! I saved my $3/week for almost a year and bought a platinum/blue Raleigh Record that I used for the next 17 years (and my next three years delivering papers). That bike made me feel as though I could ride almost anywhere and taught me most of my basic bicycle mechanical skills.

I learned a lot about people on my paper route...especially when collecting. I was amazed at all the excuses people could come up with for not paying the $.75/week, even when I still had to pay my district manager. I also learned how generous and appreciative other customers could be.

Winters in north central Connecticut could be a challenge, and I remember walking my route at times when the roads were not cleared. I still carry some scars on my elbows from skidding in the springtime on the loose gravel left over from the winter road treatments.

I also remember delivering the heavy Thanksgiving morning edition of my paper packed past bursting with Christmas ads...and stepping on my customers' back porches to drop off their papers and smelling the turkey cooking!

It's been a long time since I folded my papers, pulled the flap over them in my paper bag to protect them from the elements, and rode my old Raleigh, but the memories are still vivid...45 years later.

Last edited by Oldoarsman; 03-11-16 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Spelling correction