View Single Post
Old 03-16-19, 02:18 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Hey Hey, My My, Paperboy Threads Must Never Die.

Yes, I was a paperboy! A proud one, 1968-1970. 63 customer route of the Battle Creek (MI) Enquirer & News.
As a 12-14 year old, that job taught me so much about people, managing money, persisting in the face of adversity, and the value of hard work.
I learned in the first week not to park a heavy bike with a kickstand on a customer's new asphalt driveway on a hot summer day, not to ride across a customer's lawn, and that the customer is always right.
I'll always remember my dad getting up early with me on Sunday mornings in the winter when snow was more than a foot deep and the roads were full of slush.
He'd drive slowly drinking his coffee, and I'd run from house-to-house after grabbing 5 papers at a time from the warm car. It made a 2 hour job in the winter a 1 hour job.
Of course, being a paperboy led to other jobs in high school, college, and beyond, so I think the lift-off into the adult world of responsibility was by being a paperboy.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.