Old 10-18-21, 01:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Looks like a fun project. One aesthetic that bugs me in the pic above is how crazy long the brake bolt is. I see that the front is recessed, so they made the rear extra long to make up for it?!
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
The brake bolt may be longer to allow for a reflector bracket, which the previous owner may have removed. So, now it just looks too long.

It is a good looking frame. Yellow looks good when it is clean. Yellow is not my favorite color for frame either, but some of the yellow bikes do look good. This is one of them.

Keep the pictures RiddleOfSteel .
By 1989, I would have thought we'd be "past this", but apparently the full adoption of recessed nut brake caliper mounting had not spread to the lowest ranks for Trek. Here we have a hybrid setup, Shimano OEM even, that employs recessed nut in front and nutted mounting in the back. There is room to drill for recessed nut mounting, which I will likely do just to keep things simple. Plenty of metal to do it, so I'm not worried. Indeed that length of bolt/threading front or rear was, in the past, for allowing a reflector to mount there, and likely also in this case, fenders (as there are eyelets).

The Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge has been instrumental in the removal of smudges and stains in the paint. The touch-up paint has also greatly helped the 'unified front' of presenting the bike as Very and Totally Yellow.

I have a black Tange Passage headset on the way, so the frameset will lie fallow for a bit here until that comes to join the frame and fork together in new life. I'll take some photos when I'm done with all the touching up and cleaning, which should be today.