Old 01-08-23, 06:39 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That tool does have a thin wall on it. And that is some damage on the tool. Wow. It was hardened. That is for sure.

All I can say is try it again with a new tool or bring it to a bike shop and see if they have better luck.

Heat often helps as well. If things get to the point that you break another tool, dismantle the freewheel so that you can heat up the only inner part of the freewheel without heating up the rest of the freewheel and try it again. Keep cycling the heat until it gives. It will come off.
I may try again with heat, and thanks for the edit, although I realize in hindsight I misspelled "vise".

I still have the wheel. I'm actually going to try heating the freewheel, and hit it from the backside with PB to cool it, sometimes that'll wick penetrant up between the metals as it cools. I just don't know if I want to risk exploding another tool. Definitely not going to throw my Bicycle Research version, even though it's thicker-walled and I think he machines from solid block vs. cast+harden, I don't want to grenade it also.