Old 04-18-22, 11:13 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by spencertimm
Hi all -

I’m seriously getting back into cycling after being on a mountain bike for a year and a half or so. I have a 58 cm Giant TCR with an 80 cm 6 degree (down) stem. I noticed today that, on one of my longer rides, my hands began to go numb. While on the ride I tried scooting the seat back and that didn’t help much plus it increased my reach uncomfortably. So, here are a few ideas I have to fix this:

1. Get a new bike. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, because I seem to better fit a slightly smaller frame. I am 6’ 2” with a 34.5 inch inseam, so I have a relatively short torso. The TCR is a race geometry so it has a relatively low stack and long reach, hence the 80 mm stem. I’ve been looking at a Defy in size 56, which has a nearly identical stack to the 58 cm TCR but about 10 mm shorter reach.

2. Move seat backward and just deal with the longer reach since I don’t want to use a shorter stem.

3. Angle handlebars down, assuming that the numbness is related to too much bend in my wrists.

4. Wait for my core strength to improve after more riding/training which might start to take weight off my hands.

Any input is appreciated!
Move the seat back to where you can take your hands off the bars while pedaling at a moderate effort, then use a shorter stem to get the reach where you need it. You desire to not use a shorter stem has no merit. You need the bike to fit. If you leave it where it is, you will end up with injuries.

By all means, set the angle of the bars so that you do not have bent wrists.

Take a look at this article, and then look at his other info on bike fit. Whatever you do, put whatever misconceptions you have regarding stem length aside, and use the stem that actually makes the bike fit you.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/