View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 02:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The symptoms you describe are typical of "cyclists palsy" https://www.physio-pedia.com/Cyclist%27s_palsy. This is one of many online descriptions of the problem and suggestions on how to deal with it. Be aware that the symptoms get worse as you age especially if you are an avid rider and do not deal with it effectively. I got my case because I was both a long-time cyclist and motorcycle enthusiast. About 20 years ago I switched to riding recumbent bikes where there is little pressure on the palm of my hand and stopped riding motorcycles. In spite of that the symptoms got worse until my left hand was numb much of the time even without riding. Finally after horsing around with the ridiculous medical system we have here in the US I got authorization for carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand. Relief was immediate. The bill, paid entirely by my insurance policies, was $10K. I can again ride regular bikes for a reasonable distance but am careful to not overdo it and cause the problem to reoccur.
Likes For VegasTriker: