View Single Post
Old 09-13-22, 08:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
DT, Sapim and other established brands are all of comparable quality. The longest service life will be with 14g double butted spokes. What matters more is a quality build by someone skilled at this.

Your problem will be the limited rim options dictated by the unusual spoke count. In many cases it might be more cost effective, and get you closer to your needs to go with a new prebuilt wheel.

This is a tough call, and my bias is to custom hand builds by a skilled builder, with spoke and rim selection based on the rider's individual needs. So, IMO, step one is to see if you can get a rim that will serve well, and let that drive the decision.

Also, going to wider tires will probably help, so choosing a rim accordingly is smart. BUT before making any decision based on wider tires check whether there's adequate clearance in your frame (usually at the chainstays). IMO 5mm side clearance is a rough minimum for general purposes (less is OK for racing). You'll want that to accommodate the wheel going out of true on the road, keeping in mind that compost happens, and long walks are no fun. Lastly, given the circumstances, it might be feasible to rebuild the wheel using the same rim (especially if you can't use a wider one anyway.

BTW - Just for kicks, wait until you've lined up the rebuild or replacement, then grab 2 spokes at a convenient place and squeeze hard. Don't be surprised if they snap as easily as if they were uncooked spaghetti. FWIW - some time back I came back to my bike that had been in Cozumel for 6 months and found that half the spokes had broken just sitting in the garage. (no fun)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-13-22 at 08:13 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: