Old 12-01-19, 07:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...that is way cool. Are those BB taps French threaded ?
-----

Purchased one of these sets from Zeus Cyclery Corporation of New York City about 1983.

As recalled, they were able to offer a choice of thread standard.

It did not matter in my case as I wanted to have all sizes so I ordered additional bottom bracket taps separately to have a complete set of six. Zeus did not offer a Swiss tap nor a reamer for repair of BB threads.

Also have both sizes of fork crown mill handle - 25.0mm guide and 25.4mm guide.

For Swiss and reamer I use Bicycle Research. Their taps fit fine on the Zeus handles. Prior to the Zeus set used VAR and Bicycle Research cutting tools. Have been completely happy with the Zeus.

One tool in the kit which takes some care to use is the compression type fixed cup installer/remover. It exhibits a very fine finish and makes comparable tools such as the Kingsbridge appear cheap and junky. It is of an atypical design for instruments of this type in that the inside purchase is not made on the inner face of the cup but rather on the cup's inner edge. This feature permits one to install a loaded cup but has the downside that it only mates with quality cups which have a thin-walled threaded portion. Before I understood this tried it on an ordinary quality OMG cup which it cracked. The tool can be seen in the lower right of the photo of the tool case posted above - it is the thick cylindrical item.

Here is an earlier 1960's catalogue image of the tool kit. In this illustration the fixed cup tool is top centre -

-----