Old 12-02-19, 10:52 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Found this one by just missing on a Panasonic, then asking seller if he had any other "old" bikes for sale. He offered a "really light" bike, of unknown make which he had crashed & put in his shed. Brought this Zeus out. Had a bent fork & frame, but front wheel somehow unscathed. Don't remember price paid, but we were at $50 vs $25 near the end so somewhere in between. Asked local builder Bill Stevenson if it could be repaired & he said sure, but had to be worth his time. Picked bike up with 2 fingertips & said "This is definitely worth my time".

Bike was missing brakes/levers, front derailleur. Did have a Shimano Crane rear DR in good, not great condition. I found NOS SunTour Superbe front DR & Superbe Pro rear DR plus NOS Galli brakes + Zeus shift levers at a local swap meet. Touched up paint, Cyclemondo decals, CLA bearings, added new tires & rode the bike for a while, but it was just slightly to big for me, so gave it to my oldest son(@ 6'1", he just needed a longer seat post). He took off the hammered fenders, pedal clips & straps, so I moved them to other bikes along with the simplex seat post and Brooks saddle. Don

As Found

& Brooks saddle.

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this find Don!

You have certainly done a beautiful job with it.

Have not before seen this crown on a Zeus frame.

It was widely employed by Italian manufacturers in the 1950's and 1960's.

Two of the many which made extensive use of it were Olmo and Frejus.

Do not know the maker. Have suspected either BOCAMA or Agrati. Do fork ends match dropouts?

Have a Zeus cycle here I suspect to be the Professional model from about 1973. It has the same lugs, seat stay treatment and ends as your frame but is built with a full sloping crown.

What make are the hammered mudguards you fitted?

-----