View Single Post
Old 07-16-21, 11:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,837 Posts
I understand that the pro racers crash a lot. They ride for reasons and in situations which sane riders would avoid. ..... I tend to not crash. I call it "Riding a bike," as opposed to "Falling off a bike," which is not my chosen sport.

Also, nurses don't have to pick hairs out of the wound ... they have to pick Everything out of the wound. This includes sand and gravel, which tend to embed in the flesh, whereas the hairs mostly come off with water (or betadine or whatever the staff uses.) The gravel is what's hard to get out, in my experience.

And "road rash" isn't hairs being ripped off, it is Skin being ripped off. I want to see scientific data proving that wounds are larger on unshaven flesh--and that hairs are being individually pulled out of the skin and tearing the skin with it. Every time I have ever crashed (and back in my crazy days that was way too often) I never had hairs pulled out .... the pavement just abraded away the skin, hairs and all. What, do some people ride where gravel has tiny hands which grab the individual hairs?

As for faster healing and less scar tissue ... explain that please. The damaged flesh is gone, whether or not it was hairy. The are where there si no flesh will heal over, and sometimes for m scar tissue---regardless of how hairy the flesh which is no longer there might have been. Do the new skin cells somehow learn whether the old skin cells were shaven or not, and regrow accordingly?
Also .... if the skin is ripped off, why would they skin need to be shaved? It has already been shaved by the pavement. The tape would go on the Unripped skin .... and a little alcohol will help dissolve the glue on the tape (apply that carefully, of course.) And if the skin is raw And the nurse is shaving it, she is just a sadist.

But again .... if you make a choice and feel a need to defend it ... go ahead. I personally think personal decisions are personal. Your mileage is sure to vary.
Likes For Maelochs: