Old 01-28-22, 12:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've had winds and rain proof gear that left me basting in my sweat, I've let all of that gear go as I've found items that are much better at managing moisture while blocking the wind/rain.

It's not cheap, but quality materials are good at blocking the wind and venting humidity. Well designed bike specific wind blocking layers have venting panels on the back side of the article of clothing where there's no wind. Additionally, well designed wind block layers include adjustable venting to dump heat when the body warms up. I'm a big fan of Podiumwear, 45NRTH, and Pearl Izumi AmFIB winter gear.

I'll repeat what I've said in earlier posts: while riding a bike, you're creating a 10-20mph wind; therefore, when air temps are cold enough to consider wind chill, wear a wind blocking layer regardless of the wind speed. One quality wind blocking layer is all you need, and adjust the layers of wool for the air temp.
I agree, but I'd have to amend those imperialist numbers to metric in my case.
yes, I know that you're much more of a hammerer than me, but seriously, I do notice that when really cold (-20c or more) I really do seem to go slower on my commute, just to have less face skin uncomfortableness going on, and also by then my rear trigger shifter is crying uncle so I'm in 1 or 2 gears in back, and shift between the granny and mid ring when going up the overpass and or slow snow buildup.