View Single Post
Old 01-21-16, 01:22 PM
WeightySteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
BTW, hi and welcome to the forum, Steve!
- Thanks

Re: Tyre wear, yep I see that point of view, however if that is the ony reason and if one is prepared to spend the money (and time!) replacing them as and when required.

Unless... Does changing the tubs too often lead to destroy the rims themselves as old glue is removed etc?

They will be seeing about 2-4 hours track time a week with complete mixture of riding from slow(ish) SQT line lapping/formation riding excercises, to Keirin, Scratch races, Derny, Madison and Sprints.

My initial Tub choice is (was?) going to be Vittoria Pista Evos, which aren't a bad price (as a few places have them on sale) and from reading up give a good balance of performance and a bit of longetivity (although I might have been reading tosh!).

If I go with them can someone give me an approximation on how long they'd last with that amount of usage? Are we talking like 2-4 weeks (4-6 hours riding time - distance 150km ish), or more like 2-3 months (30ish hours - 1000km) or even longer? I can live with changing tubs say every 3 months, but if they are going to be dead after only 2 or 3 sessions, I can totally see your argument and it would be too frequent a change to do.

Ta for the advice...

Edit: Looking here... http://www.iancammish.co.uk/#!dugast-piste-tubs/cpet

Even Dugast Silk tyres give you a good 2000Km, so even they would well exceed my tolerance for tyre changes - they would give me something like 6 months usage which is totally fine. I can only assume the Evo's last even longer than that.

Last edited by WeightySteve; 01-21-16 at 01:33 PM.