Old 01-29-20, 11:58 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by aabb
Hi again. Apologies for yet another thread. Based on the last feedback I got I have decided to ask yet another question. It’s pretty short this time.

im looking for an endurance bike with some gravel capabilities, budget up to $4000 CAD. i anticipate I will be doing 60-70% road. So I really want to be able to go fast when I want to, and that’s why I have decided to shift my focus from gravel to endurance bikes (as they are faster and more comfortable)

i have looked at the Trek Domane SL 5. It’s marketed as an endurance bike but can fit tires up to 38. I have read about this bike, and people keep bringing up the large weight as a downside. I’m wondering how big of an issue this actually is and if there are any other downsides to the bike.

also please feel free to throw some suggestions for other bikes to look at. I just want something with a relaxed geometry that can go fast (not as fast as a racing bike obviously) but I can still take on some light trails and gravel.
ironically I was in the same market as you recently and just picked up a 2018 Felt VR3 for $1900 original MSRP $3700 USD. For me it was the perfect balance of an endurance road geometry bike that has high end components, it's light 18.5lbs stock, 48/32 sub crank to climb, and has clearance officially up to 30mm but really can fit up to 35mm tires. I ride mostly 90% road but it was nice to have the option to put larger tires for the winter or if I wanted to tackle more broken pavement, packed dirt, or even some lite gravel. The bike is not race oriented but still is plenty fast but a lot more comfortable with it's frame design without the carbon chatter

maybe you can find a leftover VR3 for around $2K USD or the VR2 Di2 for sub $3K USD

Another poster had a good suggestion the Salsa Warbird is a great choice for 40mm tires and lots of mounts at 20 or less pounds depending on model. What it comes down to is how much "gravel" and what kind you will be actually riding

Last edited by Jrasero; 01-29-20 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For Jrasero: