Old 03-10-21, 07:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm 75 and my answer is not while there's breath in my body! Those thoughts are put there by the Devil, to entice you into somnolence so he can have his way with your body. Just say Yes to life!

Once upon a time, we could throw a leg over our bike once a week and do a fun 30 mile ride. For this boy, not any more. I do a series of stretches, followed by a set of pushups almost every morning. When gyms were open, I strength trained once or twice a week. Now I use dumbbells at home. I ride almost every day, some moderate, some hard, but mostly moderate for an hour or two. I ride the same bike I bought 20 years ago, same carbon frame model on which Lance won his first tour. I used to ride with a slammed -17° stem but have eased off to a slammed -6° stem a couple years ago - my fitter said my hip angle was stupid small. Fine. I still ride 23mm tires, no problems.

The main thing is to stay fit and also to have a good fit on the bike - hands light on the bars, relaxed arms and shoulders, straight back. Many people, including me, have found that the trad road bike position, stretched out, some drop, is easier on the back than trying to sit back up. That's in the long run. Aging is OK, getting old, not OK.