Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
My Giant road bike with a Claris came with pretty basic Jagwire stuff. I noticed that even when properly adjusted, the front derailleur is pretty hard to shift (turns out my shifter housing at the ferrule end has started fraying). There's also some noticeable friction on the rear brake (noticeably not as smooth as the front one). I've already decided not to spend money on things that won't give a noticeable performance improvement. So far, I've only planned on replacing the saddle, the tires when they wear out, and maybe even the wheels in the future. Should quality cables/ cable housings be added to the list? Or are inexpensive cables and/or cable housings good enough for a low-end bike like this? If I do upgrade, I found a complete kit of Jagwire Pros for 40 USD. Are they worth it?
Don’t know from the info given if your issues are due to worn cables or bad setup (you did not even say if the bike is new or how old the cables are). But I doubt they are due to the quality of the cables.

If you do go with replacing cables and housing.....

I never found a difference between standard vs higher end shifting cables and housing.

I do notice a real difference in brake cables and housing (more specifically the housing). Compressionless housing (such as the Jagwire Pro) make for more solid feeling braking over standard brake housing. Jagwire Pro is my go-to for brake cables and housing sets.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-18-21 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For Kapusta: