Old 06-19-21, 10:14 PM
CleanClassics

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replys. I think I got the jist of the lineup changes now. So I'll go to the store and have him try the Domane AL 2 and the Trek 520 (which I like that trek gave it the old school styling). In the meantime I'll be on the look out for 400T like he previously had. Is there any obvious way to tell the difference between a 400 and 400T. I didn't know I had a T model till everyone here mentioned it.

Originally Posted by nlerner
You can find plenty of brand new steel frames with sport touring geometry. They'll probably take a wider tire than would the Trek 400, too, like this one: (Url removed bc I have less than 10 posts)
Those are nice. As mechanically inclined as I am, I'm unfortunately a bit short on bike tools at the moment. I was able on this bike to swap the destroyed tires, straighten the wheels, fix the brake rub and tune the brakes, tune the gearing a bit, affix and lube the chain, remove the stuck seat post, and clean everything up.

But I know I'm short on tools around fork assembly and my knowledge on gearing is still rookie. While working on these old bikes is fascinating to me, I am a bit saddened that almost none of my automotive, electronic, or house tools really carry over for bike work. And I ended up dropping around $100 on a new set of tools just for bikes (including the bike stand). So I have a little bit to save up before I'll try a full bike build.

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Surly cross check?
No Surly bike shop near me to try I only have Trek and Specialized bikes available new in my area (at least to sit and try, online might be different)

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-20-21 at 04:26 AM.