View Single Post
Old 07-06-21, 03:56 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I don't know if the frame is 8 pounds or not, but the frame is light.
Hi. You say that the frame is light, but then you say it is stout, and needs to be sturdy because you are a Clydesdale. [EDIT - So am I, and you could make something better and durable even from a less "sturdy"-looking road bike, or with an older MTB as a base.]

I know a couple of things, and one is that those frames are NOT light. I once did a clean/lube/adjust on one of these, a yellow one that I picked up for free, and the next day I just put it out for free. It took a while, but someone eventually took it. I had it laying down as I didn't want to chance it falling onto the sidewalk and having someone smaller hurt themselves trying to move it. They are shockingly heavy versus anything but a rideshare bike, or a gaspipe + chrome job from the 1950s with a bunch of unnecessary stuff bolted to it.

The other thing I know is that there are so, so many better bikes out there for free or almost free to start with. You will spend less and have a better result. Tell us your preferred Craigslist area and there are dozens of people on this site who can look and pick out a dozen better options, and go through what's worth doing and what's not, and why, and how to do it. That thing is just not worth it- cut your losses.

Hell, you already have 2 better bikes based on your signature, so you know you can get quality stuff for not a lot. Two of the best road bikes I've ever had I got for free and spent on refurb and parts and it's really satisfying.

Last edited by Charliekeet; 07-06-21 at 04:00 PM.