Old 03-06-10, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
They held the bike at the station until he picked it up the next day. I don't recall the ship time, but they did tell me up front when they expected it to arrive at the station in BOS. I guess as long as the train isn't running late it will be there on time. I have also done the bike as checked luggage and it arrived when I did. LOL

Aaron
So you actually knew when it was going and pretty much which train it would be on?

I really like the idea of the bike being in a huge box so practically no assembly or disassembly are required. It means it being able to be ridden into the station and and packing in minutes. It also means picking it up and riding out of the station with practically no wrenching. The one time I used amtrak on tour I found the packing/unpacking to be way less hassle than packing a bike for shipping by UPS or FedX. The exception was when I used the shipbikes.com box which also requires very little disassembly. The thing is that then you have to ship the $100 box between your start and finish points.