canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Mr. Polansky lost me when he said "People shouldn't be allowed to suffer on the streets while the wealthiest society in history swirls around them." I have some friends who in many ways are like the couple for whom Mr. Polansky is so concerned. They live in a tent under a blue plastic tarp in the forest. They are there because they want to be there.

Both are schizophrenic. But they don't self medicate with alcohol, meth, or opiates. They are both well past 80, and they have lived in the woods for at least 30 years. Both worked for many years and they have pensions, Social Security and Medicare. They just want to live in the woods, cook with a solar oven, and be left alone. If they want to get in touch, they have a way to send messages to people. If people want to get in touch with them, they have a place to leave a message.

In my years as a volunteer firefighter / medic I have dealt with several homeless people, and a few more schizophrenic / bipolar people, and people with serious PTSD who lived in a house. Even when they live in a house, they are ... different. They can be very difficult to deal with, even when their life is at risk. We helped them the best we could, but really it was just window dressing.

The problem is that for many of the homeless, the only way to stop them from "suffer(ing) on the streets" is to incarcerate them. Mental institution or jail. Makes no difference to them. Portland Oregon has a shelter in the never used Wapato Jail that is a first rate facility, but it requires clean and sober so it can stay a first rate facility. The most recent report I have read about it is that it is 75% full. Maybe Misters Polansky and Gorman can bunk a few of the not clean or sober folks in their houses? A Navy shipboard bunk room can sleep 6 in an 8 X 8.
Yup. I've met a few homeless folks with mental illnesses, usually schizophrenia, and some ex-cons, in the parks and even in the middle of nowhere during bike rides. I'll often stop, chat, see if they need anything. Mostly I listen to their stories.

A common theme is they dislike the noisy, aggressive vibe of most homeless shelters and missions. I don't blame them. I've seen a few shelters and wouldn't want to stay there either unless the weather was so bad I'd die outdoors.

One of my former neighbors is a young man in his 30s with schizophrenia and diabetes, both controlled with medication. I learned only a few days ago he'd been evicted because the apartment lease was in his mom's name only, and she's now in a nursing home. He'd been her caregiver, but they hadn't made any arrangements for his care after she was gone.

It's very difficult to help him, or get him to help himself. He's usually a very easy going guy, doesn't cause problems for anyone. But he gets stressed out and confused very easily and can seem emotionally upset and angry. He has a hard time following instructions or coping with any technology. He doesn't have a phone, computer, nothing.

He had a case worker at the local mental health agency, but that person left and it's unclear now whether there's a replacement. The fellow doesn't want to live in a group home, which has been offered. I'm not really sure what will become of him. Next time I see him I'll try to encourage him to visit the mental health agency because they should have access to info for housing, etc. He should be eligible for SSI as well, which would cover apartment rent after discounts provided by subsidies. If I catch him in the right mood and go with him, he and his case worker might allow me to encourage or guide him through the process.

But for folks with those kinds of mental health and physical health difficulties, it's always going to be a challenge. I can see why some folks prefer to skip the bureaucracy and make do on their own. Which is why relatively warmer places in California and Florida have such large homeless populations. Texas usually has a reasonably tolerable climate, but the February 2021 deep freeze killed a few folks who were outdoors, or in substandard housing for the week we were without power.
Likes For canklecat: