Old 04-19-24, 12:30 PM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Small update.
I now have a few hundred km on this bike and still love it.
HOWEVER, for the price (nearly €5k), I have certain quibbles:
1. Rohloff drivetrain. The Shimano Linkglide system is good, but chain maintenance, gear range. Rohloff is right for this grade of bike.
2. Hard tail. Despite the Thudbuster seat post, I neverthless get thuds up my butt. I'm coming to this bike from a full suspension Dahon Jetstream EX and I miss the full suspension. I realize that full suspension is not really compatible with all the rackage of this cargo bike.
3. Suntour fork. It's not bad (it's the air version), but for this kind of money, shouldn't there be Fox long travel forks?

What I do really love, however is:

1. Cockpit geometry. Fits like a dream!
2. Low center of gravity. Rides really well, very stable even when heavily loaded down (I double my girlfriend sometimes; carrying her 50kg and a ton of groceries is NO problem).
3. Motor, control system. Kudos to Bosch. Brilliant system.
4. Front rack. I have the bigger one, and my backpack-type briefcase slots right into it. I don't even need to tie it down.
5. Panniers. Beautifully designed, and expandable to gargantuan capacity.
6. Beautifully finished and put together. That's what we pay for, I guess.

I have a crazy idea that I'll order a R&M Delight with Rohloff and Fox suspension upgrade, and use the Multicharger for hauling stuff and the Delight for getting around. Kind of a silly idea I guess.