Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,403 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I wasn't meaning to challenge you on your riding accomplishments. I appreciate that you do solid rides like that. Because you said that all your rides were done fasted, I was wondering what you manage without bonking. For example, if you ride 100 km averaging 20 khr, then you're riding for 5 hours. Does that fall under the "all my rides are fasted" umbrella? Even at low intensity, I personally wouldn't do a 5 hour ride without fueling in advance.
Ignore his calorie burned estimates. However it's totally possible to do what he does. Due to the magic of the cube relationship between power and speed, he only needs to ride at 82 watts to average 12.4 mph on an MTB. 82 watts = 295 kJ/hr.

It's possible for the average person to burn .5g of fat per minute or 30g/hr X 9 = 270 calories. Athletes can burn up to .75g/hr or up to 405 calories per hour. So if we assume he's fully keto adapted, he can ride pretty much forever at 12 mph. That also explains the big jump for him from 19 km/hr to 20 km/hr. He probably does have some minimal glycogen on board to help getting up those climbs.

So a 5 hour ride = say 40g/hr X 5 = only 200g of fat burned or less than half a pound. Thus it's totally easy to keep up with that and even gain weight because he's not burning what he thinks he's burning, i.e. what his Wahoo says he's burning.

Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator
https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...ean-re-fat.htm