View Single Post
Old 08-07-20, 01:35 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I defended Sagan in TDF when he was ousted immediately as it happened (and later, after TDF was long done with, that decision was reversed, simply acknowledging what I saw as mere TV watcher right away from replay in next fifteen minutes after the crash) but this time, I wouldn't stand behind the offender.

That was clear closing off of rider but done too late and brought way too far. Some apologies are totally misplaced in a case like this one and totally useless anyway. Only option Jakobsen might have had if in time, he would have swung a bit to the right to lean leftward and gain shoulder push momentum against the offender... but who would have thought that he wouldn't let up.

The officials should strongly consider a life ban, terrible as it is. Also the calls for barrier change of some sort is called for. How many time have we seen a rider getting caught on them by handlebar or a pedal, even without being pushed into them.

Even just strapping of continuous strip of plastic on them (with banners printed on it), some five feet wide and reaching all the way down to ground, at least in critical sections. Key word here is continuous, to make those separate barrier sections into one, solid enough to keep them in place, with continuous smooth surface. IMO that would be plenty enough, as long as it resists glancing collisions and prevents hookups into the bars. Some plastic like that needed here is already being used in advertising today.

Last edited by vane171; 08-07-20 at 01:45 PM.
Likes For vane171: