View Single Post
Old 01-25-21, 12:35 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,993 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I actually toyed with the idea of an e-bike while I was still working and my fitness had declined to the point I couldn't even enjoy the rides I like to do. You know I've never been a great climber but that's what I like. Since retirement and having more time to ride I am climbing better most of the time. An e-bike with the range to carry my 200 pounds on a 8000 foot 80 mile ride might be a tough ask.
I also thought about an electric mtb for exploring but a motorcycle seems like a better option, and cheaper, too.
Truth is ... I'll probably reach the point where I should go for an ebike before I actually will. I was telling a non-cycling friend about the odd mentality involved last weekend driving around in the Santa Monicas.

Two summers ago, I was suffering big time climbing Little-T to Bear Divide. It was super hot and I started cramping. It got so bad about 50 yards from the top, I had to get off the bike.

So I stood there and tried stretching and doing what I could so I could hop back on the bike and ride to the top. Rick suggested (and it made more sense) to simply WALK to the top, as that would have gotten me there and stretched things out at the same time. But there was a part of me that said ... I've never walked up a hill, and there is no effin way I am going to start now. And yea ... I never did. No matter how much I had to stop, I made sure I rode to the top of that and Dillon Divide too.

Yea ... bull headed stubbornness sometimes.