View Single Post
Old 03-21-23, 10:02 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 191 Posts
Finished the 1974 (ish) Allegro Schweitzermeister Build

I posted about this “from the frame up build” earlier in the process. This is my second Swiss made Allegro Schweitzermeister from roughly the same period, given the close proximity of the serial numbers. (242930 and 244893) Both of them are Model 76 versions. The first one was restored to the “B” configuration which is primarily a mix of Campagnolo, Weinmann and Stronglight parts. I posted a thread about that build a couple of years ago.

With this one, I was starting from a bare frame, so I decided to build it in the “A” configuration which called for a full Campagnolo Nuovo Record build. My first Allegro had very damaged paint, so I powder coated it and hand painted the lug lines. It looks really nice (the powder coat was done by someone who knew how to do bikes with lugs) but it was no longer original. Stellar ride quality. That bike quickly became my favorite rider which is what inspired me to take on this project when I learned a frame was available in good shape with original paint.

This one came to me with excellent chrome and reasonably good paint, so I was much more conservative in my approach. The tiger stripe paint effect is somewhat delicate, so cleaning and polishing it was a bit of a challenge. I replaced only the badly damaged decals and left the original, intact ones in place. Cyclomondo had very accurate replica decals so I was able to match the previous decals perfectly.

The frame had been stripped of parts years ago, so I had to start gathering parts from scratch. I was able to figure out its component configuration from catalogs from 1976 and pictures of same period Allegros. (I would love to get my hands on scans of 1973-74 Allegro catalogs since both frames are from that period.) My only deviation was using high flange Tipo hubs instead of low flange Campy NR hubs since I have those on the other wheelset.

Below are pictures of the completed bike. (I have lowered the stem since I took these glamour shots.) Looking forward to riding this one at Bob Freitas’ vintage ride this weekend.