Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Entrigo
Thanks for the thread! I was considering the Quick 1 amongst others (mainly Specialized Sirrus 3 and Giant Escape 1 - don't like the 1x drivetrain on the 0 ) and wondering if it would be up to for some light gravel/offroading, as from the website it looks like a purely urban set of wheels. Just had a Giant Roam 0 stolen, had bought it in July with the intent of trying more off road but I think I would now prefer a quicker bike, so back to "standard hybrids". Would you say the quick, with maybe just a tire upgrade - as I am not quite as keen a cyclist yet to go full mod like you did - could handle the occasional gravel and dirt track?
I've had the bike on maintained singletrack with the original 700x30c Spicer K-Guards and it did fine. It was not very comfortable but ridable. I tried it on unpacked crushed limestone trail also with the original tires and that was futile - no traction and too narrow.

I'd say it is targeted to the urban crowd but it is more capable than people might think. The tire upgrade to the 700x35c size was a great choice and works great for all around riding. It is not as fast but the ride is more forgiving since I dropped tire pressures to 60-65 pounds on the 700x35c. I think 700x38c tires would fit without the mudguards but I'll let someone else give it a whirl. Gravel bikes ship with 700x37c or 700x38C so I think the Quick 1 with the tire upgrade would be fine.

As for going full mod - I'm a tinkerer by nature and cannot leave stuff alone. All of my upgrades thus far are pretty much bolt-on additions that I think about anyone can do. The 105 crank upgrade scheduled for this winter is another level of complexity. I document it when I do the installation.

t2p , any thoughts for Entrigo ?