View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NatashaQuick
Am I so stupid that I can't find that on this forum or is it just a given?

I posted here some years back before the birth of my daughter and never had the funds to set the bike up with a baby seat and take her along. Right now my car's in the shop, the weather is beautiful, so is my vintage 10-speed and there's a second adult at home to stay with the now 6yo baby while I run errands (until I get her fitted for a new bike herself, she's growing like a weed!) I lost almost all of my accessories when I broke up with my ex-husband.

Some years back I was watching YouTube videos of how to break a u-lock with a ball-point pen. I see the gadget sub-forum but locks aren't mentioned. My bike isn't worth anything monetarily, but it's older than I am and a dream to ride on the road. I store it indoors but I'm not letting that thing get stolen while I'm out getting groceries and such. I believe I can register it with the local PD and just want to know which locks are the best for not being defeated easily by bolt cutters and pens. Most of the stuff I need I can get from Walmart but definitely not opposed to ordering from Amazon. Thanks in advance!
Well, don't do what I did. I bought a couple of very well-reviewed heavy duty u-locks, a full-size and a mini, used each a couple times and then realized I just didn't want to carry the awkward and heavy things on my bike.

You're parking a not-valuable bike for short times while on errands, so it would be silly to spend a lot unless you're locking it in a very high-crime area. I use a pair of Rocky Mounts Hendrix folding locks. I'm not sure they're the most secure I can get for the money, but they're so easy to carry and use that I know I can be consistent about it. I just figure they're just unfamiliar enough to most opportunistic bike thieves that they'll move onto the next cable lock to cut.
Likes For livedarklions: