View Single Post
Old 08-04-21, 06:57 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
When the MCRT-Wayside was paved through Wayland and Weston, I puzzled a bit over how it fit into the larger cycling map; it's pretty enough in itself, but what's it for? Soon enough its role as an East-West route through the South-Central zone of the Metro Boston road-trail system suggested itself, and that stimulated planning a 49-mile loop through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Carlisle, Concord, Lincoln, Sudbury, Wayland, Weston, and Waltham, made by stitching together segments of the Minuteman, Route 225, Skelton Road, River Road, Monument Street, Concord Center, Walden Street, Route 126, Sherman's Bridge Road, Water Row, River Road, Route 20, Landham Street, Pelham island Road, Route 20 again (just for a block), MCRT-Wayside, Church Street, North Street, Lexington Road, West Street, Winter Street, Old County Road, Trapelo Road. Smith Street, Spring Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and the Minuteman again. (A slightly shorter variant can be had by riding the Reformatory Branch instead of 225/Skelton/River/Monument.) I rode the loop once or twice in previous years, and again on Tuesday, the first time this year. It was a good ride, filling the awful void between lunch and dinner.

The Minuteman, Lexington: the Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders give us a traveler's tale to those who stayed behind. It's a good story.

Route 225, crossing the Concord River. All that water had to come from somewhere, and we're off to look for that.

River Road, Carlisle: the sign for Blue Bird Hill Farm calms me every time I pass it. Good trick for a little wood and paint.

The Sudbury River, seen from Sherman's Bridge. Water under this bridge is headed for the Concord.

Water Row, Sudbury: here I called the frogs, and they answered me.

Pelham Island Road, Wayland: Pelham Island is not presently instantiated, but come back in flood conditions... in a kayak.

MCRT-Wayside, Wayland: this section of the trail is lovely and secluded. It's often possible to ride for several minutes without encountering another trail user.

MCRT-Wayside, Weston: Once upon a time, I rode this before it had been properly converted to a rail trail. It was simply rails, with a (single-track) trail running along next to it, now on one side to the tracks, now on the other. I managed to catch my front wheel during one such crossing, and was catapulted head first onto one of the rails. My Giro helmet died for my sins that day, and I had a close call. As a result, I now have an irrational sense of ownership of this trail. This time, nothing more harrowing happened than a close encounter with an outraged shrew.

Winter Street, Waltham: the ride alongside the Cambridge Reservoir is pleasant, and traffic wasn't a problem Tuesday afternoon, for whatever reason.

Old County Road, Lincoln: still riding next to the Cambridge Reservoir, now fringed by forest, with speed bumps at intervals to lend a little interest to riding on the old pavement.

Up next, the Trapelo Road causeway and a vigorous climb up the hill overlooking the Reservoir; the end of the ride is in sight, and all that remains is some pedaling through Waltham, Lexington, and Arlington. Followed by dinner.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-05-21 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: