View Single Post
Old 08-09-21, 10:20 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 890 Posts
Took the venerable old GT Karakoram sporting its new pair of shoes (Rene Herse Humtulips Ridge Extralights, the Rat Trap Pass's knobbier brother) for a quick if somewhat drizzly spin up to Depot Park and back before dinner (I have distant memories of riding before other meals, I should try that again sometime).

A rescue truck met on Broadway in Arlington provided a flashing, squalling fanfare to inaugurate the ride. Recreating the sound track is left as an exercise for the reader.

There was only modest traffic on the Minuteman, although actual riding conditions were really pretty good. Maybe everybody went to the Cape.

Overtaking the Buddliner at Depot Park.

After I turned around and started heading back, I encountered a group of three boys--middle schoolers, I think, but at this point a lot of people look younger to me than they really are, so they might have been graduate students. The lead kid raised his left hand, elbow bent, as if signaling for a right turn, which made no sense since executing one would have sent him and his bike into the underbrush. After he said "High five" for the second time, I realized what he wanted, and slapped him five. His buddies cheered. I think the spectacle of the geezer on the archaic mountain bike tickled them.

Ever wonder where all those e-bikes come from? Here's a clue, found in Lexington.

I suspect those signs are in violation of some by-law or other, but the entrepreneurial impulse can be fun to watch at times.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-10-21 at 06:47 AM.