View Single Post
Old 07-27-22, 06:14 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by MrLuke
Hi, whole life I was riding mtb bike, but because last years mostly on paved roads, so I decided to buy road bike. I took race geometry road bike and i had hope for higher increase of average speed. On asphalt roads with mtb 2.3" knobby tires i can get (in zone 2 HR) 17-18mph and on road bike(25c tires) this speed increase very little by 1-2mph. I was thinking that in same hart rate zone i will be doing 3-4mph more.
1-2 mph is "very little" if you're driving a car, or a motorcycle, and all it takes to increase your speed by that amount is to move your foot a fraction of an inch (or twist the throttle a degree or so). On a bike, 1-2 mph is a big difference. If you don't believe me, try this: go on a 2 hour ride at your normal pace. Note your average speed. Then, next ride, increase your speed by 1 mph. Then, the ride after that, increase your speed by 2 mph. Assuming that you succeed (I'm pretty damn sure I couldn't succeed), THEN come back and tell us that a speed increase of 1-2 mph is "very little".