burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'll be a dissenting voice and say that speed does matter. Even though I was already a cat 1 by that point, when I started focusing on speed, really focusing, it helped. I started podiuming way more. I got in more breaks, and I won from more breaks. And the name of the game when you're trying to win from breaks is to go as fast as possible with as little effort as possible.
A lot of that speed revolved around position, but tube/tire choice and aero clothing and equipment also played a part.

As far as going from a cat 5 to a cat 1, your ability to get to the pointy end, stay there, and sprint will determine that more than any other single variable. Some guys do it in two years, some in 6-7, the vast majority never do it. I reckon a category a year is pretty solid, but the proliferation of events in your area and how many you do will have a big impact on upgrade speed. The more you race, the better you get at racing. As a junior, that means as many junior races followed by categorized races as you can do. Get the upgrade to 4 as soon as possible and do jr 17/18, cat 4/5, and cat 3/4 races. Look for something to learn in every single race, and figure out how to put yourself into position to win at the end.

I’ll actually agree some here.

I am not the strongest hammer ride guy or novice TT guy at all.

But, I focus a lot on optimization of my equipment within my budget. I wax my chains instead of tossing lube on a nasty chain. Run latex in good gp5000’s. Decent aero wheels. Good positions. Save watts like crazy.

I am close now to being perfectly comfy doing IAB. That took a while. I’ve done it recently first time on the hammer ride. Was enough when pulling to have the weaker guy behind me lose the wheel.
Likes For burnthesheep: