Old 08-23-21, 04:20 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Trying to piece together a bike is quite frustrating and expensive. It is better to be patient and buy a couple or few bikes on craigslist that have some (or all)of what you are looking for.. Cruiser componentry hasn't changed at all in the past 60 years, (stem eand seatpost sizes may vary) Derailleur cruisers are almost all 7 speed, and have been since about 1995.

The Electra Townie or Cruiser Lux 7d are good aluminum bikes. The Lux 7d is not as common as the steel 7d. But they still aren't heavy like a 1953 Schwinn Hornet

electra uses stainless steel hardware (an added plus)
It's not always expensive. I'm currently building a SS and the only things I've bought for it are; brake levers, rear wheel, chain, pedals. And I'll be buying a rear brake cable housing. The front wheel, brake calipers, handle bars, chainring were free or trade from the co-op, front cable housing I already had. The cables will be free from the co-op, and I'm probably going to use an old innertube as bartape.