View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 05:20 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Almost every ride I see something interesting worth a second look, unfortunately it's often a dangerous pass. But ... it's better to have what happens saved on video than not, even if you don't survive the incident. Your family might use the video to sue some driver for millions, who would have otherwise escaped scot-free. And the police might use the video to arrest the driver who killed you (hey, anything is possible).
As for the interesting things I see on rides, much of the time, it's on the side of the road, not in front, i.e., not something a camera aimed forward (or back) is likely to capture well. Maybe if I weren't such a terrible photographer I'd have more faith in the ability of such a camera to capture a view worth keeping.

As for the other part, well... it sounds like a very morbid kind of lottery ticket. I guess it's cheaper than life insurance, but what are the chances that the person who caused ones death or disability would have assets or a policy worth millions from which to recover? - and that's assuming that they were sufficiently negligent or less cautious than the cyclist, such that damages could even be awarded. Remember, it's not enough that the other person is negligent - they have to be more negligent and less cautious than you, and if the video shows you doing something that those on the jury wouldn't have done (doesn't matter how safe you thought you were being), your estate could be SOL. Sure, there are a lot of negligent drivers out there, and sure, people use videos to prove it to their advantage, but that's not the kind of thing I want to be involved in.